Scrap Quilt #20 – The Ugly Guild Challenge Fabric

Scrap Quilt #20

Winning guild challenge block is never a blessing. The blocks are never the same size. Everyone has a different 1/4 inch seam allowance and no one cuts the finished blocks the same. These blocks were given to me. Someone else won the (them) and they knew they would never make them into a quilt top. When I decided that these gifted blocks would be made into #20 I never realized what a challenge to me it would be to try to artistically put the (them) into a pleasing-to-me quilt. The first thing I did was lay the (them) all out on the table. Then I sat down and stared for about an hour. The conclusion was, whatever I did, these blocks would still be ugly put together. The second thing I did was to see what sizes they all were. The 12 1/2 inch blocks ranged fro (from) 15 1/2inches to almost 11 inches. So I started cutting down those that could be cut down and then I started trmming and adding to the short blocks.

After realizing that these blocks would be straight and not on point, it started to fall in place. The main problem was that the large floral challenge fabric at first glance looked like it was in primary colors, red, yellow, blue & green. But they, also, had limes, light blues, and orange. The rainbow kept growing as the piecers started choosing their other fabrics: dark green, black, pastels and batiks. Then came the jig saw puzzel. You ove (move) and place, and study and shuffle and stare, and change for 3 hours. So now they are finally in their spot and it’s tie (time) for me to find sashing & cornerstone fabric. If I had some of the challenge fabric, it would have been a breeze to slap together. But it might not have been as scrappy & interesting. I try never to buy any fabric for these scrap quilt tops if I can help it.  Part of the challege for e (me) is to use what I have here.  I never plan to ever quilt them. They are for lecture, workshops, and demonstrations. I knew I needed dark corner stones to help offset the black and dark green blocks, so I did 12 different blue prints.  I got two reds to do the sashing, stripes for the vertical and floral for the horizontal. To finish I did a one inch border of dark blue to frame the blocks and a red batik as the border. The outcome is a basically a red, white, and blue scrap quilt. This will never win an award. But when I die it will be a top and not blocks in a bag.

Note to guild challenge people: When picking out challenge fabric, never pick big floral prints with bright primary colors. They just are too hard to work with for challenge blocks.

About Jim Gatling

Artist: primitive watercolors, colored pencil. Quilter: Original designs, Scrap quilts. Craftsman: Woodburning, Recycling Teacher: Retired MHS, SHCS K-12 Part Time. Collector: Antiques, Quilts, Glass, Buttons, Petit Point, Needlepoint, Hankies, Figural Perfume Bottles. Son, Father, Grandfather, Neighbor, Friend.
This entry was posted in Uncategorized and tagged , , , . Bookmark the permalink.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s